Monday, January 12, 2009

The Pursuit of Joy

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. – Psalm 16:11


“The pursuit of joy.”

“Christian Hedonist.”

What I am about to describe is not a new idea. It is not even an old idea revisited. It is something that Christian circles have been discussing quite a bit in recent years – particularly thanks to John Piper’s infamous Desiring God.

It is an idea that I have mentally ascribed to, but not once intended to put into practice…until now.

Our church has begun a series on 1 John, and surprisingly (at least for me), one of the main themes that came out of the first sermon was the topic of joy. The first four verses—the first words out of John’s mouth—were an indication of untamable wonder and awe at the person of Christ. “An old man acting like a kid” was how our pastor described him…and then proceeded to encourage us to explore our apathy in the Christian life. Where is the wonder? Where is the joy – the kind of contagious joy that leads us to shout from the rooftops about Christ and just how incredible He really is?

His question is one worthy of our consideration…and one that I am ruminating about for myself. But yesterday’s sermon has not just motivated me to question my lack of joy. Conversely, it has challenged me to pursue a deeper understanding of Psalms 16:11, as quoted above. What are these pleasures at God’s right hand?

I must confess that I have ascetic tendencies. My initial response to the sermon was: “Throw out your TV’s, peoples! Don’t waste money and time on Disneyland and Knott’s Berry Farm and cinemas and theatre.” Thankfully, God has been (through various means) challenging those tendencies in myself.

So here I stand at a crossroads, at the beginning of 2009. I long to possess the Apostle John joy and wonder – on a daily basis. I yearn for the taste of glory, mystery, wonder – the kind of intangible, inexplicable magic of fairy tales and children’s stories. A certain dear person of influence in my life constantly challenges me to “become a kid again” – and I often resist – because I have seen the sufferings of this world…how can anyone be that innocently happy? Yet, among others, the apostle John would disagree.

Joy. I want it. I want to understand it. I want the joy that God has to offer. Not the fleeting joys of this world, but those which God ordained and created for us. All of them.

I’m not generally one for New Year’s Resolutions. But I suppose you could consider this my resolution for 2009 – the Pursuit of Joy. Whatever God calls me to forsake – or possess – in this pursuit, I’m ready and willing. I am hoping this blog will be full of entries of all the lessons God teaches me about the things He calls all of us to take delight in. And please, bug me, if it does not. Because I agree with John Piper’s understanding of the human soul – that we were made to enjoy God forever.

Lord, please, open my eyes and show me the wonders of your world – the wonders that rise above the suffering – the wonders that caused this great apostle to resort to child-like excitement in his old age. Show me the pleasures that are at your right-hand. Amen.

No comments: