Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Choose Your Own Adventure...Or Do You?

A Vision

I am at the verge of a cliff. If I could paint, I think I would create a picture of a dark, deep forest that rather abruptly opens up onto the edge of a precipice. Visualize this with me:

You’ve been walking along in a well-known forest, aware that eventually you’ll end up on new paths, but not really knowing when, or where, or how, or what they’ll look like. And then suddenly, you step out into the open and in a split second, in the blinding light of day, your life flashes before your eyes as you realize that if you take another step forward, you’ll fall…over 5,000 feet.

Do you turn around?

As you look back, you realize that it is not an option. The course your feet have trod disappeared in the thick brush of the forest floor. Not what you expected.

And yet, in front of you, thousands of feet below lays “the new trail:” a riverbed—the water gushing and rushing and spilling over onto the banks as it splashes beyond the scope of your vision. Surely that can’t be the path you were expected to take!

You eagerly peer to the left and to the right, your eyes peeling the horizon for even a suggestion of a bridge. But there is nothing but cliff, as far as the ridge can stretch.

Do you jump?

All rationale and common sense strongly suggest otherwise.

Yet deep in the recesses of your being, a subtle hint—a glimmer of anticipation—shifts and rises to the surface of your consciousness. “Believe the impossible.” Do you listen to it? What is this voice?

It’s called faith.

Faith in what?

Why, God, of course! The God who created dry land out of an ocean, brought down city walls by a marching army, raised the dead to life…to name a few of His magnificent wonders.

Why defy your common sense? Because this is where God is leading you.

I’m standing at the edge of that cliff. Putting one foot forward, not certain what will come as I jump into the raging river, a new path for my feet of faith. What adventures lie ahead, I cannot say. I only know that this is the way I must take.

Anyone ready to make the leap with me?

No comments: